Officer Involved Shooting: Las Cruces Police Provide Details on Fatal Super Bowl Sunday

Two years earlier, officer Jonah Hernandez was killed in the line of duty on Super Bowl Sunday 2024 while responding to a trespassing call.

Source: Las Cruces Police Department
Images: Courtesy

LAS CRUCES — Las Cruces police on Tuesday released additional details and video footage from an officer-involved shooting that occurred Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026, at the Walmart on South Valley Drive, leaving a 28-year-old man dead. Police identified the man as Johnny Ray Morales.

The date carried significance for the department. Two years earlier, officer Jonah Hernandez was killed in the line of duty on Super Bowl Sunday 2024 while responding to a trespassing call.

According to Las Cruces Police Department, Morales entered the Walmart at 1550 S. Valley Drive at approximately 7:14 a.m. Surveillance video shows him moving through the store’s sporting goods section, where he took an unlocked bicycle.

Subscribe to the Daily Las Cruces Digest

* indicates required
How would you like to be addressed in personalized emails?

Intuit Mailchimp

At approximately 7:20 a.m., a Las Cruces police officer working “off-duty employment” on a contracted security assignment at the store was notified of the reported theft. The officer made contact with Morales outside the store moments later.

Police say the first shots were fired at approximately 7:21 a.m.

Body camera footage and surveillance video released during Tuesday’s press conference show Morales allegedly firing a handgun at close range toward the officer. The officer took cover and fell during the initial exchange but was not struck by gunfire; however, he did sustain minor injuries related to the fall.

Over the next several minutes, gunfire was exchanged in multiple locations along South Valley Drive, including near nearby businesses and a dumpster area behind the commercial corridor. Police said the final shots were fired at approximately 7:27 a.m.

Morales was pronounced deceased at the scene.

February 17, 2026 News Conference

Investigators recovered a Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 handgun from the scene. Police said the firearm had previously been reported stolen out of Truth or Consequences.

According to police, Morales fired four rounds during the incident. Multiple officers discharged their weapons; each fired fewer than 10 rounds, officials said.

No officers were struck by gunfire.

The incident is being reviewed by the Officer-Involved Incident Task Force, which includes investigators from the Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Office, New Mexico State Police, and New Mexico State University Police Department. The case will ultimately be reviewed by the Third Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

Police Chief Jeremy Story said the officers involved have been placed on paid administrative leave, standard procedure following an officer-involved shooting.

During the press conference, Story said Morales had prior felony arrests, including weapons-related charges, and was out on bond at the time of the shooting.

The department has released portions of body camera footage and surveillance video as part of its public briefing. Additional materials may be released as the investigation continues.

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading