My heart is broken for the victims, their families, and everyone who was affected.


Headlines

Public Statements to International Reports: What is Being Said About the Young Park Shooting

“My heart is broken for the victims, their families, and everyone who was affected. I used to represent this part of Las Cruces on the City Council. I know this park. I know this community. And I know how devastating this is for all of us.”

~U.S. Representative Gabe Vasquez

Multiple Sources (cited)

Gov. Lujan Grisham statement on Las Cruces mass shooting:

SANTA FE — Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham issued the following statement regarding the mass shooting that occurred Friday night at Young Park in Las Cruces: 

I am heartbroken and horrified by the mass shooting Friday night at Young Park in Las Cruces. Three people are dead and at least 15 others were wounded in this senseless act of violence. My heart goes out to the victims, their families, and the entire Las Cruces community during this unimaginably difficult time. 

The indiscriminate nature of this shooting is both shocking and unacceptable, but sadly not surprising. This violence tears at the fabric of our communities and leaves wounds that may never heal. 

I am mobilizing state resources to support local law enforcement in their investigation. If you have any information, particularly video or images that could help identify those responsible, please come forward and contact the Las Cruces Police Department immediately. 

The disturbing rise in violent crime in Las Cruces—which has increased by 46 percent compared to last year—demands immediate and sustained attention. This is not merely a statistic; these are our neighbors, our children, our future.  

The devastating loss of Officer Jonah Hernandez in Las Cruces last year, and now this mass shooting, underscore the legislature’s years-long failure to address the crime crisis shattering lives and communities in our state. New Mexicans are heartbroken, and they should also be outraged that their legislature will adjourn today without having a passed a single bill to address juvenile crime or ban assault weapons. Their inaction is appalling and unacceptable.  

The public should demand that the New Mexico Legislature—and all public officials in our state—acknowledge New Mexico’s crime crisis and prompt them to act immediately to protect our communities. The legislature should expect a special session to address our ongoing public safety crisis. 

I remain committed to working across all levels of government and with community partners to implement comprehensive solutions that address the root causes of gun violence while providing our law enforcement with the resources they need to protect New Mexicans. 

Daily Digest Banner

Subscribe to the Daily Las Cruces Digest

* indicates required
How would you like to be addressed in personalized emails?

Intuit Mailchimp

Second Statement from Office of Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham:
Legislative session ends with unfinished public safety work as Las Cruces mourns shooting victims

SANTA FE — At the conclusion of the 60-day legislative session today, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham acknowledged the passage of some public safety measures while emphasizing the urgent need for more action in light of Friday night’s mass shooting in Las Cruces that left three dead and at least 15 injured. 

The governor has mobilized state resources to support local law enforcement in their investigation of this tragedy, which comes amid a disturbing 46 percent increase in violent crime in Las Cruces compared to last year. She said a special session is needed to address ongoing public safety issues in the wake of the Las Cruces tragedy. 

“While we made progress on universal free school lunch, literacy, water planning, and firefighting resources, I cannot ignore that we failed to adequately address the public safety crisis facing our state.” said Lujan Grisham. “With 270 public safety bills introduced this session and only a handful passed, we have not met our responsibility to New Mexicans.” 

The legislature passed 194 bills out of 1,182 introduced, addressing issues from economic development and healthcare to education and water security. The $10.8 billion recurring budget includes funding for state employee pay raises and sets aside 30% in reserves. Other legislative accomplishments include the passage of bills supporting child welfare, healthcare access, economic development, and water security. 

The legislature did pass some important public safety bills, including HB 8, which addressed criminal competency, penalties for gun auto conversion devices like Glock switches, increasing the penalties for making shooting threats, trafficking fentanyl, repeated auto theft convictions, and expanding DWI blood testing for better evidence collection. Lawmakers also passed HB 12, the Extreme Risk Firearm Protection Order, and SB 70, which adds crimes to the Racketeering Act, strengthening New Mexico’s response when investigating the leaders of organized criminal enterprises victimizing communities in our state. 

But the legislature failed to pass bills to address juvenile crime, possession of stolen firearms, and shootings from motor vehicles, making juvenile gun crime adjudications disqualifying events for future firearms purchases as adults. Lawmakers also refused to pass a bill backed by the governor to increase penalties on felons in possession of firearms or the pretrial confinement of violent criminals. Some of these bills were not even afforded a single hearing to debate these important issues. 

“The reluctance to have even one productive debate on reducing juvenile crime is shameful,” said Lujan Grisham. “When New Mexicans are demanding action, and we’re seeing tragedies like what happened in Las Cruces, policy makers must respond with urgency and resolve.” 

The legislature’s failure to pass comprehensive juvenile crime legislation or a ban on assault weapons is particularly concerning given recent events, including both the Las Cruces mass shooting on Friday and last year’s killing of Officer Jonah Hernandez in Las Cruces. 

“As we conclude this legislative session, my heart goes out to the victims of the Las Cruces shooting, their families, and the entire community,” the governor said. “This senseless act of violence tears at the fabric of our state and must strengthen our resolve to protect all New Mexicans. I am committed to working across all levels of government and with community partners to implement comprehensive solutions that address the root causes of gun violence.” 


Statement by U.S. Representative Gabe Vasquez:
Standing With Las Cruces After Tragedy at Young Park

Last night, our community experienced a horrific tragedy at Young Park in Las Cruces. As of this morning, three lives have been lost, and many others are injured after a senseless act of gun violence shook our hometown.

My heart is broken for the victims, their families, and everyone who was affected. I used to represent this part of Las Cruces on the City Council. I know this park. I know this community. And I know how devastating this is for all of us.

I am in close contact with local law enforcement who are working around the clock to identify and apprehend those responsible. While the investigation is ongoing, I urge everyone to stay alert, follow safety guidance from the Las Cruces Police Department, and report any information you may have.

In the face of this tragedy, I want you to know this: You are not alone. We will get through this together — with compassion, courage, and action.

My team and I are working to ensure victims and their families have the necessary resources. We are also committed to making sure this kind of violence has no place in our community. That means more substantial support for public safety, mental health, and common-sense gun violence prevention.

Here are some immediate resources available to you and your family:

  • Tip Line: If you have video, photos, or information about the shooting, please contact LCPD at (575) 526-0795.
  • Mental Health Support: Call the NM Crisis Line at 1-855-NMCRISIS or text “TALK” to 741741 for free, confidential help.

Our community is strong. We’ve come together before, and we will again. I will continue to be present, to listen, and to fight for the safety and healing of every New Mexican.


Young Park mass shooting tops “Top Stories” on ABC News website:


NBC News featured Young Park “shootout” in its U.S. News section:


CBS News featured Young Park “shooting” among its top stories:


The Associated Press (AP) reported on the Young Park “shooting” among their top stories of the day:


HuffPost reported the Young Park “shooting” as a top story in their “Latest News” section:


The Young Park “shooting” made the list of stories in the US & Canada News section of the BBC’s website:


FOX News posted their coverage beneath a Casey Anthony story in the “Crime” section:

News Nation posted the Young Park story in the “Southwest” section.

CNN(US) posted a short video clip of the incident:

The Young Park shooting did not appear on: Breitbart, ProPublica or Al Jazeera.


Spilling Beans

Article posted by:

Vamos a chismear…

  • What You Should Know About the U.S. Border Patrol’s New “Routine”: Texas National Guard sworn in to support efforts in El Paso Sector