Hantavirus death confirmed in Santa Fe County woman
SANTA FE – The New Mexico Department of Health (NMDOH) confirmed today that a 65-year-old woman from Santa Fe County has died of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS), marking the first reported case in New Mexico this year.
Hantavirus is a severe respiratory illness caused by the Sin Nombre virus, which is transmitted through contact with infected rodents, or their urine, droppings, or saliva. The virus can become airborne when disturbed, posing risk of inhalation. There is no evidence of human-to-human transmission in New Mexico.
“This tragic death reminds us that hantavirus remains a serious public health concern in our state,” said Erin Phipps, state public health veterinarian for NMDOH. “While cases are relatively rare, the mortality rate is significant. We urge New Mexicans to take preventative measures seriously, particularly when cleaning areas where rodents may have been present.”
About Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
- Hantavirus was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States.
- There were seven confirmed cases of Hantavirus in New Mexico in 2024, seven in 2023 and three in 2022.
- Early symptoms of a Hantavirus infection may look and feel like the flu or a “stomach bug” and include fever and muscle aches, possibly with chills, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and cough, which can progress to respiratory distress and severe illness.
- Symptoms typically develop within one to six weeks after rodent exposure.
- Though there is no specific treatment for Hantavirus, chances for recovery are better if medical attention is sought early and the health care provider is told about the exposure to rodents or their droppings.
The deer mouse is the main carrier for Sin Nombre virus, which is the hantavirus strain found in New Mexico. People are usually exposed to the virus around their homes, cabins or sheds, especially when they clean out or explore enclosed, poorly ventilated areas that have mouse droppings.
NMDOH recommends these precautions to reduce hantavirus risk:
- Air out closed-up structures like cabins and sheds, as well as abandoned or stored vehicles, before entering them.
- Use traps to control mouse populations.
- Seal homes, buildings and shelters to prevent rodents from entering.
- Disinfect nests and droppings with 10% bleach solution before cleaning up.
- Never sweep or vacuum rodent droppings.
- Store hay, wood and compost away from dwellings.
- Eliminate trash and junk piles that can harbor rodents.
- Keep pet food and water in rodent-proof containers.
For more information about hantavirus:
- Visit: https://www.nmhealth.org/about/erd/ideb/zdp/hps/
- Call the NMDOH Helpline at 1-833-SWNURSE (1-833-796-8773).
Measles cases in Lea County rise to 30
Increase attributable to cases identified after illness
SANTA FE – The New Mexico Department of Health (NMDOH) confirms that the measles outbreak in Lea County has resulted in one death and a total of 30 cases since Feb. 9.
The increase in case numbers reflects test results from the NMDOH Scientific Laboratory Division combined with cases discovered during epidemiologic investigations of known patients. These cases did not occur simultaneously, but were identified retrospectively, with many detected only after patients had already recovered from their illness.
The deceased, an unvaccinated Lea County adult, tested positive for measles after death and did not seek medical care before passing, according to laboratory confirmation from the NMDOH Scientific Laboratory Division, though the official cause of death remains under investigation by the New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator.
“The large majority of Lea County residents are vaccinated and well-protected even if they come into contact with the virus,” said Dr. Miranda Durham, NMDOH Chief Medical Officer. “Most confirmed measles cases involve people unvaccinated and have occurred over an extended period of time.”
Of the total cases, all have been residents of Lea County and include 26 adults and four children under the age of 17. The majority of cases involved unvaccinated individuals. Health officials emphasize this is not a rapidly expanding outbreak. The cases have been occurring steadily over time.
- Week 1 (Feb. 9-15): 14 cases
- Week 2 (Feb. 16-22): 6 cases
- Week 3 (Feb. 23-March 1): 6 cases
- Week 4 (March 2-8): 4 cases
Measles is extremely contagious: a person with measles can infect others from four days before rash onset through four days after the rash appears.
In enclosed spaces, the virus can stay in the air for two hours after an infected person has left. Symptoms start with cough, runny nose, and eye redness, then progress to fever and rash. The rash starts on the head and spreads down the body.
If you’re experiencing fever and rash, call your doctor or emergency department first to tell them you are worried about measles so they can plan for your visit. You can also call the NMDOH Helpline at 1-833-SWNURSE (1-833-796-8773). The Helpline is staffed by nurses able to provide guidance in English and in Spanish related to measles and vaccination questions.
Vaccination is the best way to protect yourself from a measles infection. One dose of vaccine is 93% effective, and two doses are 97% effective. The measles vaccine provides lifetime protection.